A lot of you have seen the SumUp advertisement where a business owner who in the past only took cash now uses this easy to use app. I have the same app and device in my own office and it is very useful.
But for a busy shop that also has online sales Sumup is not ideal and Shopify with it’s integrated and point of sale option is a great way to add point of sale to your shop. To get the full blown POS “experience” requires you to pay for Shopify per month (which every Shopify online store needs to do) and pay for POS Pro but the benefits and improved sales and customer satisfaction will pay off in no time
Why Use Shopify POS?
If you currently have a shop or run a market stall and want to take the next step to perhaps run an online store or just take payments for sales in the first place with the future option of selling online for a very low monthly cost (Shopify is a monthly service with the lowest cost starting at $29 per month) then Shopify is a super way to start.
Shopify POS Costs
There are two types of POS available for Shopify
POS Lite – FREE
This is best suited for people on the move and in many ways is like many of the other apps (like SumUp above)( in that it allows you to
- Accept credit cards, debit and digital payments
- It integrates nicely with a mobile Point of Sale and some of the bluetooth accessories that you can purchase that integrate with the PIOS )more on this below)
- It centralises all your order and product management
POS Pro – $89 per month
POS Pro is designed to support brick-and-mortar retailers and is $89 included with whatever price you pay for your Shopify plan.
- Get everything included with POS Lite
- Create unique staff roles and permissions
- Manage POS, transfers, and demand forecasting with Stocky app
- Fulfill local pickup and local delivery
- Add unlimited store staff and registers
- Sell online and offline seamlessly with omnichannel features
- Explore in-store analytics and reports
- Access dedicated retail support team
- Get an extended hardware warranty
How to Setup Shopify POS
One of Shopify’s attractions is ease of setup. Getting from having no online presence and no point of sale with Shopify is quick and easy to set up. It is one of the reasons I have started recommending this in place of WooCommerce more and more as most businesses want an end to end solution that is not online and covers their shop or their business on the move.
You first need to set up a Shopify store. Shopify offers a 14 days trial to customers to test out the Shopify features (bar credit transactions which you need to sign up toy avail of). Once you have your store setup you then got to the POS option to add the options
And you are done.
Shopify POS Apps
Shopify offers POS apps for Android and for Apple available in both stores and both apps work for phone and tablet.
This is where your shop can really come together and be omnichannel and make your life easier. For a small investment you can purchase items like below.
- Bluetooth receipt printer (Micronics TSP100IIIBI ) – prints up to 60 receipts per minute – cost €329 + VAT – View here
- Barcode scanners €319 + VAT – View here
- WisePad 3 Reader – €59 + VAT – View here
- Cash Drawer – integrated with payments €69 + VAT – View here
Now you needn’t buy all of these but if you are running a busy bricks and mortar store a bluetooth printer like above will save you hours of messing around with emails and messages and you can just grab the receipt.
POS is the Now
POS integrated with eCommerce is really the way to go with online businesses today and dividing your online business from your bricks and mortar is a mistake. Understandably there are still thousands of businesses with old creaking legacy systems that do not integrate at all with modern POS systems like Shopify (and others) so it can be a big step to move. But move you should.
The ideal way is to start a planned migration and identify the online products that are your best sellers and move them to the Shopify POS system in parallel with your legacy system. This is what you would do for a new POS system anyway. There will be teething problems but the benefits outweigh the pain.
For companies who have never had a POS then it is not just easy but can open up new revenue streams for them instantly as once they get the Shopify POS they also have a de facto online presence for the same effort as you only have to add products once.